Friday, February 23, 2007

"Really, it's not you, it's ME" funder style

I just recently joined the Development Executives’ Roundtable and they have a special program called Grantwriters’ Anxiety Support Program (which creates a rather cute and descriptive acronym). I haven’t attended any meetings or events yet, but it got me thinking about the nervewracking qualities of being a grantwriter. For me it’s not so much about whether I’ve done a good enough job at writing a proposal, or even whether or not it will be funded. Although those are very important considerations, they are not the conditions that cause me the most angst overall. What really gets to me is the need to accept a lot of rejection.

If you write wonderful grant proposals about awesome programs, and if you follow all the rules the funders’ set forth, you obviously have a chance at getting the grant. But just as obviously it’s never guaranteed. More often than not your beautifully crafted proposal will be rejected, not through any fault of your own, but simply because there is never enough funding to go around.

I know that. You know that, the funders know that, hopefully your boss and board know that. But it doesn’t always make it feel any better. How often can you be rejected before you feel demoralized, or doubt yourself, or wonder what the point it? These feelings are totally natural and to be expected, but they have to be overcome if you’re going to keep getting out there, and keep enjoying your wonderful work as a grantwriter. So how to overcome them?

For me, just getting back to work on other proposals to other funders helps a lot. But I think lately the thing I’ve noticed helps just as much if not more is really seeking out connections with other grantwriters and fundraisers. Grantwriting in many ways is a solitary activity, at least in the time period after you’ve met with all the program people and before you’ve started getting your editing partners involved.

Which leads me back to the beginning of the post, where I was joining the DER and possibly the GASP subgroup. I’m also networking more online, through sites like Social Edge or various other nonprofit blogs. It’s not easy to find the time for this in the middle of all the planning and writing and reporting and evaluation work I also have to do. But for my own sanity, and for continued motivation in the face of inevitable rejection, it’s a necessary and refreshing task.

No comments: